Saturday, March 10, 2012

Market day!

Finally feeling tired at a normal time - midnight. Jet lag has been a bitch but getting up at 7 a.m. and walking all over Bangkok has made me exhausted. As a result, I probably won't be overly loquacious (I know, good word) tonight. It's been an adventure filled day, though.

I headed to the market this morning. This market is the biggest in Bangkok, it's freaking huge. Hundreds of stalls spread over several city blocks. They have everything you can imagine for sale there. From used shoes to baby squirrels.

I, of course, bought several dresses. I only brought one with me and they are by far the most comfortable thing to wear in the heat. I really could have left all my clothing behind and just gotten what I need here. My quick dry undergarments have been very handy, though. I also got another pair of train pants. Yes, Meri, they're the ones with the crotch below knee level. I think they're so fancy.

I bought two prints of a map of Thailand, made with ink made of coffee. They look awesome, and I'm planning to get them framed and hang them side by side. I also tried an item of food from the street for the first time!

Stall where I bought my strawberry smoothie:


You just choose the cup of strawberries you want and hand it to them, and they make a smoothie out of it. My smoothie was 70 baht, or about $2.25.


They have a map of the market that indicates what's available in each stall. As soon as I saw the word "creatures," I knew I had to find out more. This is what I found.


Also:


Rats:


More cute puppies, just because:


And:


I'm not sure what the last one is, but its about the size of my thumb. They also had sugar gliders, but they didn't want to stay still long enough to get a good picture. There were about 200 puppies. They said they were purebred, but I have my doubts. Even if they are, they can't possibly sell 200 puppies. It makes me incredibly sad to think of what they do when they can't sell them. There is a huge stray dog population in Thailand already.

After coming back from the market, Dominic and I went to see a Muay Thai fight! It's more like UFC than boxing; they use their legs, like UFC, but they still wear boxing gloves. They also have a live orchestra that plays while the guys are boxing. It was super interesting and I'm definitely glad we spent the 1500 baht ($50) for tickets.


We came back to the hostel and now the water is out. So that means no shower for Lacey. Awesome. It better be back on by tomorrow morning!

This is just a pretty Thai tree I saw today. Goodnight!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Chatuchak Market

1 comment:

  1. Those are the best pants. They look so dumb but they're so comfortable! I bought five loose long skirts online to take with me...I'll send you pictures when they get here!!!

    ReplyDelete