Friday, March 16, 2012

Back in the civilized world...

So the reason I haven't posted recently is because I was staying in a beach bungalow on Mai Khao beach with zero internet access. We're talking remote. Like the road doesn't even go there, the taxi dropped me off 400 yards away and I had to walk the rest. It was beautiful, though. Probably the only place on Phuket that is still natural and, for the most part, uninhabited. Here are some pictures of my hut!








But before I got here, I had to fly from Bangkok to the Phuket International Airport. Probably the tiniest international airport I've ever flown into or out of. However, the first views of Phuket from the plane were phenomenal. This place really is like an exotic, jungle island.





When you fly into Phuket the airstrip butts right up against the water, and on both sides are mountains. Amazing. Anyway, Seaside Cottages, as my bungalow residence was called, was so peaceful. There's this amazing little restaurant that the owners, Malcolm and Kai, run that's just delicious. It was breakfast, lunch and dinner every day I was there. Malcolm is English so they actually had food I like. How backwards are my taste buds that I like English food but don't really have a taste for Thai food??

Pictures of the beach:








I was originally supposed to stay 5 nights but the solitude was just too much. I read three books and decided I needed to see other humans my age, so I checked out after 3 nights and headed to Patong.

Patong is the exact opposite of Mai Khao. And I kind of love it here. It is way too crowded, too many people, mostly Russians and Lithuanians but it's so cool. Plus it's so touristy that they have food I like - yay! Bangala Road is just down from where I'm staying - it's like Khao San Road in Bangkok except on crack. Soooooo many bars. Today I walked all over the damn city looking for this particular dive shop but couldn't find it. Eventually I gave up and just emailed them. Tomorrow, bright and early at 8:45 am, they're coming to pick me up for my PADI certification course! I'm extremely excited. This is supposed to be one of the best places in the world for diving. So we'll see. Meri, this will break your heart:


It's a slow loris as a tourist attraction. And they're everywhere. And I want so badly to hold it, but I can't support the practice of taking animals out of the wild and using them for money. So...thanks a lot for making me care, Meri. Awesome.

This is the Patong beach. I'll get better pictures tomorrow.





Literally. People. Everywhere.

That's all for now - I'll let you know how my first day of dive class goes!

u- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:ถนนทวีวงศ์,Kathu,Thailand aka Patong, Phuket Thailand

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's horrible and makes me so sad. I know how hard it is not to hold them, though! But I'm proud of you!! People are so ignorant :(. Maybe I'll study slow loris conservation in school :). I love you and I'm glad you're happy to be back in civilization! I'll see you so soon!

    ReplyDelete