Sunday, March 18, 2012

Diving!

Since coming to Phuket I've decided to learn to dive. In short - amazing. Yesterday we did pool dives but today was the real thing! We went to Koh Racha Yai, a small island just south of Phuket. We did two dives to 12 meters, both 46 minutes underwater. The feeling of being able to breath underwater is kinda trippy. It becomes so natural, though, that you kinda forget that you're breathing out of a tank. We saw so much underwater wildlife-we swam with a school of barracuda and followed an octopus, watching it change color and texture at least three times. We also saw a deadly sea snake, moray eels and starry eels. And way too many typed of bright, tropical fish to name. We also swam down to a "wrecked" ship (it was purposely sunk to create a dive site) that was home to a family of pufferfish.

Unfortunately, my go everywhere Nikon isn't suitable for underwater photography...however, here are some of my pictures from the ride there.











The islands are just incredibly beautiful down here. The water really is turquoise blue everywhere you look.

Tomorrow we're going on three more dives at Koh Phi Phi, which is supposed to be better diving (although I thought today was pretty awesome.)

On another note, I found a place to stay for the next 5 nights. After we got back to Patong I walked from hotel to hotel asking their rates till I found one in the right location for the right price. For $40/night I finally have my own room with my own shower and a king sized bed. The super cheap mini bar is also a plus! The hotel is literally right across the road from the beach, and close enough to Bangla road to be convenient but not incredibly noisy.

I saw a shirt today that said "No, I don't fucking want a suit, a massage or a tuk tuk ride!" Anyone who has been to Thailand will know how accurately that statement describes your state of mind while walking down the street. Of course, the people selling the t shirts are also in your face trying to sell you these t shirts so...

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Koh Racha Yai, Thailand

1 comment: