Friday, April 6, 2012

So I was walking home from dinner and ran into an elephant in the road

Ok, it wasn't actually in the road, it was on the sidewalk. Still, it's the first elephant I've seen in Thailand. Kind of ridiculous that I went a month without seeing an elephant, but understandable I guess since I've been on the beach for the most part. It was really cool, though. I'm thinking that once I'm done with this trip I'll think elephants are as normal as stray dogs in Atlanta.


So I know it's been forever since I posted - I actually wrote an amazing, insightful, hella intelligent sounding post while I was in Koh Phi Phi but the stupid program lost it when I tried to save it. So you won't get so many of my rambling thoughts now - just the facts.

I went from Patong to Rawai, where I visited a sea gypsy village. Very depressing but I won't bore you with my idealistic objections. Suffice it to say, if you are visiting Thailand, visiting a sea gypsy village should not be on your top 10 things to do.

After Rawai I went to Phuket town. Very cool architecture, called Sino-Portuguese. It's like European mixed with Asian with a healthy dose of old school bad ass-ness thrown in. Examples:





Side note: in Thailand, you buy petrol for motor bikes from stands on the side of the road. The gas is in old liquor bottles. Kinda cool.


From Phuket Town I caught a ferry to go to Koh Phi Phi. Probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. At least from afar; up close it's kind of like Patong, dirty and shitty. At least in the touristy parts. I think the only thing that can describe the landscape is pictures, though:














Yes, I'm a little obsessed with panoramic pictures right now. More shameless promotion of my Nikon and Thailand:


















Going out on Koh Phi Phi is kind of crazy. The bars are right on the beach and it's like going to a rave every night. There are fire shows and day glo body paint and ridiculous dance music for hours and hours on end. And if you're smart you buy your alcohol at the 7-11 where it's a hell of a lot cheaper than at the bars. At one of the bars there's a 12' tall pole that people can climb on and dance, if they are very stupid and/or very drunk. We saw one guy climb it, after a night of raging, and try to land a back flip off the top and onto the sand. He did not land it. We aren't sure if he can still walk.

I had to fly to Kuala Lumpur a couple of days ago for a visa run. Quick and painless, and KL is actually a really cool city. If I have more time I'll go back and visit. The people are so nice.

Now I'm back in Phuket and diving again. As of tomorrow I'll have my Advanced Open Water Certification, which means I can safely dive down to 30 meters.

And then Paige comes! So excited.

More updates to come.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Luangphochuain Rd,Mueang Phuket,Thailand

1 comment:

  1. Lacey, all I'm gonna say is that I'm insanely jealous of everything you're doing right now. Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete